Heaton park was originally the grounds of a stately home
There has been stately home on this site since 1684, but the current Heaton Hall was completed in 1789. It has been a grade 2 listed building since 1952 . There are only thirteen of the rooms that are sometimes open to the public, so it is a rare treat as the interior design is extremely interesting and some of its aspects are rare. The Hall and park are now owned by the City Council.
The Temple is an ornamental building and is thought to have been used as an observatory and even has its own fire place. It is built at the highest point in Manchester an affords great views and looks over the golf course, which was formerly the deer park. It is now used as a summer studio for artists and for the occasional astronomy session.
If you plan to walk around the park then there is also the Smithy lodge that may be of interest. This is located next to the Middleton road and was the home of the lodge keeper, but gaining its name due to the blacksmith that was located nearby.
Western Pleasure grounds
Probably a 19th Century addition to provide a peaceful .retreat, they have been recently restored with its pools, summerhouse and appropriate plants of the era.
Walled garden and horticultural centre
This was originally the kitchen garden and supplied the fruit and vegetables for the estate. The walls help create its own micro climate for the crops to thrive as well as giving support to any climbing plants. The current horticultural staff grow plants for city displays as well as selling some of the produce to the public..There are demonstrations in the garden open to be public
The park is well worth a visit as it has a host of other attractions such as the Orangery. A boating lake where you can have fun hiring a boats and is a great place to see wild fowl , duck, swans and fantail doves. This lake is also well stocked with fish and licences can be purchased. There is also a farm centre and a tramway using vehicles and tracks that used to bring city dwellers to the park, dating back to 1903.